While going through a stack of old papers yesterday, I came across some notes I took last year at an encouragement meeting I attended at my local Buddhist community center. I cannot for the life of me remember the name of the presenter, but he was a wonderful speaker with great insight. The topic for the meeting was appreciation and gratitude, and the information I jotted down is as refreshing for me now as it was that very day I attended the meeting. I can remember leaving the community center that Saturday feeling rejuvenated and recharged–ready to face the world with a positive attitude. Below is a list of the cherished wisdom I made note of that day.
- Appreciation and gratitude are the real beginning of your road to happiness.
- Focus more on what you have and less on what you don’t have–it really makes a difference and can change your outlook on life.
- Recognize when a kindess is done–acknowledge it and respond with a simple “Thank You.”
- A lack of appreciation steals your happiness and will lead you down the road to misery.
- When you catch yourself complaining, stop yourself immediately. It is hard to be around people who complain all the time. It’s also hard to get a job, keep a job, get a partner, keep a partner, make friends, keep friends, etc.
- Complaining sends your life into darkness.
- People who truly appreciate and show their gratitude attract positive people into their life, experience positive interactions on a regular basis, increase their confidence, improve their self-esteem, and everything (positively) in between.
- The less appreciation you have, the more negative you become.
- You can improve your life, create confidence and self-esteem through your appreciation of others.
- Appreciation for your mother is the greatest form of gratitude. So if you have the opportunity, take the time to thank the woman who gave you the gift of life. Of course, dads are important too. Showing your gratitude for their love and support will ultimately bring you closer to the two people who brought you into this world. It’s the gift of life folks so don’t forget to say thank you!
Try it out! Take a few minutes and think about what you have. Make a list of all you are thankful for and post it where you can see it. Take time to express your gratitude for the important people in your life, and those you meet along the way who help make your day run a little smoother. Let them know how much you appreciate them and all that they do. It really only takes a few seconds, and the rewards are huge. See how quickly these simple acts lift your spirits. You have nothing to lose, and loads to gain. It’s guaranteed to change the negative into the positive and create a bit more happiness in your life!